Power steering
factory Garmin GPS

#3 hboy96

hboy96

Somthing is wrong?

• Moderator~
  • 692 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:32 AM

$20,000... :huh:   the cost of these machines are getting out of hand in my opinion.  With that kind of cash out lay, I'd rather buy an old 4x4 put some suspension and tire upgrades on it, and drive it into the ground.  Depending on what base vehicle you start with, it could haul more people (suv) or more junk in the bed (pickup), it could be more capable depending on what mods you put into it, and no need to trailer it anywhere if you keep it road legal.  There are plenty of choices that would fit inside the envelop, size wise.  The only thing that would put the brakes on this for me, is the trails.  Around here there are very limited trails for something along those lines, ATV and Side by sides are typically the only thing allowed on the trails.

At what point does the machine cost come in to play for the fun factor?

08 700 Grizzly (hers), 09 727 Grizzly (mine), 11 450 Grizzly (Hkid1), 13 450 Grizzly (Hkid2)

#4 hboy96

hboy96

Somthing is wrong?

• Moderator~
  • 692 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:36 AM

Don't get me wrong Mil Man. It's a great and capable machine and if I had the money I'd want one.  I'm looking to get some chatting going on.

08 700 Grizzly (hers), 09 727 Grizzly (mine), 11 450 Grizzly (Hkid1), 13 450 Grizzly (Hkid2)

#5 FTP

FTP

Advanced Member

• Supporting Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • LocationAshland & Oshkosh WI

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:49 AM

That is an up coming article in Off-Road or 4Wheeler.  One just did a budget 4x4 out of a Bronco II for under $4,000.  The editor agreed with a comment in a letter to the editor that he didn't know what the appeal was or why anyone would spend over $10,000 for a UTV and that a 4x4 was a lot cheaper.  However in WI there aren't to mant riding areas.  The only one I knew of was closed a few a go...

#6 hboy96

hboy96

Somthing is wrong?

• Moderator~
  • 692 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:33 AM

That's what I'm talking about.  Glad I'm not the only one who has noticed it.  While I can easily see the appeal of the above SXS.  Out the door, turn key fun.  I would enjoy the hours of building the truck more and then thrashing it even more.

What's other thoughts?

#7 lars

lars

Administrator

• Administrator
  • 368 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:04 AM

I have a tuff time with the price tag.  too rich for my blood.

Also...don't much care for the factory installed GPS unit.  Maybe it's removable and I could take it in my truck, but if it's not, then I'd rather have my own portable one.

Seems to me Honda had a factory installed GPS unit on a Foreman or Rincon a couple 2-3 years back.  Never saw one so assume they weren't a huge success.

Oh and....one more thing.  Can you imagine being strapped into that three point harness and flippin down a mountainside in Idaho?  No thanks!  I'll just jump off my quad and let 'er tumble while I sit up on the mountain and watch.  Bu-Bye !   :wavey:

Edit:...sure...would like to have one none-the-less.  Just not in the cards right now.

"never regret anything that made you smile."

#8 hboy96

hboy96

Somthing is wrong?

• Moderator~
  • 692 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:48 AM

:D   Nice example of tumbling down a mountain in Idaho.  I'm not certain the factory "roll cages" are even safe for anything but a slow speed roll over.  let alone a roll down a mountain.

#9 lars

lars

Administrator

• Administrator
  • 368 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:51 AM

Nice example of tumbling down a mountain in Idaho. 

Figured you'd appreciate that !

I'm not certain the factory "roll cages" are even safe for anything but a slow speed roll over.  let alone a roll down a mountain.

Regardless...I don't wanna be in there when it does tumble !

#10 hboy96

hboy96

Somthing is wrong?

• Moderator~
  • 692 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:59 AM

Honestly I do not want to be there when anything tumbles in Idaho (or any where for that matter).  Been there done that, it's off the bucket list.

Speaking of it, I wonder if a certain tree still is supporting a certain sticker off a certain trail.....

#11 Arkyrider

Arkyrider

RZR FUN

• 3,725 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:02 AM

Would not be legal on one Natl Forest trail in Arkansas or any state I know of. Right now Arkansas is 50" and up to 64" on some trails. Limits you to pretty much parks and private property. UnNeeded in my opinion unless you are riding dunes. I will stick to my S model. And keep $7,000 in my pocket. I doubt that to many dealers around here will even order them.

#12 lars

lars

Administrator

• Administrator
  • 368 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

Would not be legal on one Natl Forest trail in Arkansas or any state I know of. Right now Arkansas is 50" and up to 64" on some trails. Limits you to pretty much parks and private property. UnNeeded in my opinion unless you are riding dunes. I will stick to my S model. And keep $7,000 in my pocket. I doubt that to many dealers around here will even order them.

Agreed...but then sometimes dealers are (dare I say it) ...unscrupulous...and whether intentional or not, may tell a prospective buyer that they are legal to ride on the trails.

Case in point..had a rider on a quad for our T4T ride a few years back.  Showed up with his machine equipped with tracks.  A Conservation Officer informed him they were not legal at any time on Wisconsin trails.  The rider claimed the dealer that sold him the machine and tracks had told him the tracks were legal.

Granted...the rider should have known better...but goes to my point...some dealers will tell you what you want to hear to make the sale.

Caveat Emptor

#13 SUPERLOOP

SUPERLOOP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationBismarck, Arkansas

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:48 PM

I signed up for the contest to win one (probably won't win it anyway), but would sell it if I win it. It's just too wide and I don't need all that power. The prices of SXS are getting way out of hand. I had to sell my Ranger for financial reasons, but if I buy a new one, I'm going to stick with quads unless I find one for a steal.

What goes around, comes around........

#14 Mil Man

Mil Man

Advanced Member

• Supporting Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:38 AM

I agree with all of you. The prices are out of control, but they are on everything not just SXS. This new machice shouds like a much better built right from the factory. no its not going to be for everyone. Just those that have massive cash to spend in their pocket...Me personally I took my 800 and made it capapable of hanging in with a 900...I laid some cash down, but i made it like no  other machine....This is all rumor at this point. I guess we will all have to wait and see.....

#15 FTP

FTP

Advanced Member

• Supporting Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • LocationAshland & Oshkosh WI

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:05 AM

I've tested roll cages of a couple of SAE Collegate Mini-bajas and can tell you they survived but then I did.  A 4- or 5- pt harness (with wrist constraints) compared to a shoulder harness.  It keeps you in place and "in control" (inside the cage).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users